Saturday, April 25, 2009

I don’t put pressure on myself: Duminy


DURBAN: Coming from a humble background in Cape Town, Jean-Paul Duminy is the bold new face of South African cricket. Identified early as a future batting star, the 25-year-old Mumbai Indians batsman has modelled himself on Herschelle Gibbs and like his idol, he too wears a diamond ear stud.

In an exclusive chat with iplt20.com, the left-hander spoke about his life, cricket and IPL.

Your journey from Test success to T20s…

It has been good. I played well in T20s in Australia. Playing in the IPL will be good preparation for the coming ICC World Twenty20.

You are in good form. Does that put you under pressure in IPL?

I expect to play well. I am well experienced with the local conditions and will have to play a pivotal role, but I don’t want to pressure myself. I look at it as just another game of cricket.

How has the IPL experience been so far?

It has been an amazing experience for me. It has been just a few days and I am enjoying every bit of it. We are coming together as a team. The guys are looking forward to the next game.

Has Shaun Pollock and Jonty Rhodes’ presence helped Mumbai Indians?

We are fortunate to have Shaun Pollock and Jonty Rhodes in the coaching staff. They have played the game at the highest level and have a good understanding about what it takes to be a champion team. With their knowledge about the local conditions and pitches, the duo is playing an important role forming team strategies.

Sachin Tendulkar batted through the innings against Chennai. Is that a strategy?

The strategy is that Sachin Tendulkar will play the anchor role and the other guys will play around him. He is an experienced campaigner and reads the game very well.

Did you get a chance to speak to Tendulkar?

Yes, I did. But I am looking forward to talk to him about my game. He is such a legend. I would be lying if I say I am not awe of him. He is a great guy and very approachable.

You will play against your role model Herschelle Gibbs on Saturday. What are your thoughts?

Gibbs was one of my heroes when I was growing up. It will be interesting playing against him. He is a brilliant cricketer, I have idolised him all my life.

One bowler whom you are looking forward to play against?

Dale Steyn. He pushes me a little at the nets. It will be a good contest playing against him when we meet Royal Challengers Bangalore.

No comments:

Post a Comment